Thursday, April 26, 2012

Things Eating my Brains

I haven't been able to post in a while due to a few factors: being terribly sick and having my brains eaten by tons of awesome things.  I'm going to let you know what I've been on about so maybe you can have the pleasant brain eating that I've had.

Brains.

First off, an awesome thing has happened to YouTube that has exponentially increased my viewing, Channels. It's just like a TV network only with fewer shows and you can watch whenever you want. My favorite channels:

Geek & Sundry: Headed up by Felicia Day and many of the awesome people behind The Guild, I got totally addicted to Felicia Day's Flog (her video blog) and TableTop with Wil Wheaton a show that is part instructional video part game tournament in a way that makes you want to break out every board game you own or pick up a few dozen and play, play, play! You can also watch Dark Horse motion comics, the video version of Sword and Laser (book review podcast) and a fun little show called Written by a Kid. Also, The Guild with annotations, auditions and tons of extra stuff.

The Jeff Lewis 5-minute Comedy Hour:   I found out about this online sketch comedy show through Geek and Sundry, it is hilarious but totally NSFW (you have been warned). Jeff Lewis plays Vork on the Guild and tons of the same people show up.

There are lots of other awesome channels but those are the two I have been devouring lately. The Nerdist is also a good one to check out if you are a little bit more generalized in your geeky fun.

Then there are the video games, I have an odd waxing and waning cycle with video games, I don't play all the time but when the mood strikes me I will sit and play for days. I do get up to pee though. Which I suppose only makes me sort of,  a gamer. Recently, I found Gamer's Gate which is a site dedicated to download only games. The prices are really reasonable and they keep a record of what games you have bought so if your computer decides to bite it, you still have your game. I found all of the Dragon Age games for a ridiculously low price. I've played through the PS3 versions of the games an insane amount of times but I had to recently get rid of my PS3 (seriously sad face), so I had to get those games again. This time I was able to afford for my husband and I to both get the games. No more fighting over play time, hooray!

Games I've been playing over the last two weeks:

World of Warcraft: I fell in love with this game back in 2004 and I've been playing it ever since. I've had a few breaks here and there because of real life considerations but I always come back.  I just got into the beta for Mists of Pandaria and it has been a blast so far.

Dragon Age: Origins:  So much more fun on the PC (or Mac) than on a console, I really prefer having a mouse and tons of keys to work from than a controller. The entire series is now available for PC&Mac, Xbox 360 and PS3, and it's usually pretty cheap, so go play it if you haven't already.

Star Wars the Old Republic: As I have previously mentioned, I am a massive Star Wars nerd and so I was really, really looking forward to this game. I played for about a month and a half and in the end I have decided that while it's a solid game, it's too time intensive and frustrating to play on a regular basis. However, if you don't have kids to take care of and really want more roleplay elements in your MMO gaming, I highly recommend you try it out.  It's a windows only game, though so if you're like me and have a Mac, it'll be a bit of a pain to play.

So, I'm a fan of Wil Wheaton, not that surprising considering my love of the internet and Star Trek. The fact that he is also a gateway drug to so many awesome things, if you aren't already following him on twitter, you really should be, while you're at it you can follow his brain and his dick, his dog and his cats. I think Wil Wheaton may have a twitter problem. Through him I found out about The Bloggess. Who is completely hilarious and her blog is totally worth wasting hours and hours learning all about her husband, her daughter and the various critters that hang about the place. Because they're dead. I am not kidding, y'all.  While you're at it buy her book "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" because it will make you laugh until you hurt in some really amusing places. It's available for Kindle as well as hardback.

Now go forth and enjoy the awesome! I'm off to laugh until I choke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I follow Wheaton's Law when it comes to the internet. Don't be a dick and comment away.